Built in 1758, this pre-Revolutionary War landmark is the last of the farmhouses that once lined the old Boston Post Road, (when the route went up Broadway in Manhattan, across the Harlem River at Kingsbridge, and thence up the Connecticut coast). The house is listed on the National Register of Historic places. Its current hours are Saturday 10-4, Sunday 1-5, or groups by appointment.
By John Grignola, late 1890s. This granite statue represents the prototypical Union soldier, in military dress with musket in hand. Originally intended for Woodlawn Cemetery, it was never placed there, but was displayed at the edge of the Bronx River. In 1964, it was toppled into the river and later recovered. It has stood at the Valentine-Varian house since 1970.
Norwood neighborhood seems distinctly more prosperous than many areas to the south. The Montefiore medical center helps to support it.
Norwood’s street names commemorate many historic American military heroes: naval officers (Bainbridge, Perry, Hull, Decatur), Revolutionary War generals (Knox, Gates, Wayne), and foreigners who fought for The Revolution (Kossuth, Steuben, deKalb, Rochambeau).