Coast Guard Dolphin in NYC
Aero Digest specsEast Boston (now Logan) airport in 1936.
Eight-place high-wing amphibion monoplane.
Two P. & W. Wasp engines, 450 h.p. each.
The Douglas Dolphin was an amphibious flying boat. While fewer than 60 were built, they served a wide variety of roles: private ” air yacht”, airliner, military transport, and search and rescue. It began in 1930 as the twin-engine “Sinbad,” intended as a luxury aircraft. It was a high-wing monoplane, with two radial engines mounted above the wing. Its six to eight passengers looked out picture windows, and their baggage was stored in a 30-cubic-foot area. The Depression curtailed demand for such extravagance, so the Sinbad was sold to the United States Coast Guard.
The Douglas DC-2 was a 14 seat, twin-engine airliner produced by Douglas Aircraft Corporation. Designed to meet TWA requirements for a new airliner, the DC-1 (which evolved into the DC-2) made its first flight in 1933. Inspired by the success of the DC-1, the DC-2 was introduced less than a year after the DC-1′s first flight. The new plane closely resembled the DC-1 but had more powerful engines, was faster and capable of longer flights, was two feet longer, and could carry two more passengers. TWA ordered Twenty-five DC-2′s in 1934, with more procured by the U.S. Navy (as the R2D-1) and Army Air Corps. Continue reading
The Douglas B-18 Bolo was a USAAC bomber of the late 1930s, based on the Douglas DC-2. Although obsolescent by 1941, the B-18 saw service as a patrol aircraft early in World War II. It was powered by two Wright R-1820 radial engines, and could reach a speed of 215 MPH. Continue reading
click to enlarge
August 8, 1936
A nice shot of some passengers de-planing at East Boston airport:
Douglas DC3 – one of the most famous, longest-lived airplanes. At least until the 1980′s, some were still flying commercially in South America and Africa. In World War Two, the military version was the C-47. Continue reading