Now owned by Mosholu Preservation Corporation (MPC), a non-profit affiliate of Montefiore Medical Center. Home of the Norwood News.
This house was completed in 1890, when the Williamsbridge Reservoir was built, as part of the old Bronx and Byram Rivers water system. It was a receiving reservoir, with a capacity of 120 million gallons. In 1925, the Bronx and Byram system was integrated into NYC’s main Catskill-fed system, and as Williamsbridge Reservoir was no longer needed, it was made into a park.
The architect directed that the stone used for the house’s exterior should be a light shade, to make the cottage more homey and less forbidding. After the reservoir was abandoned, Dr. Isaac Barkey bought the house (in 1946) and lived in it for 50 years. The MPC acquired it in 1998.
Pingback: Woodlawn/Norwood – Aromas NYC